The Rise of the Creative Class
- Cities lacking lifestyle options, cultural diversity, and a tolerant attitude for creativity kill it
- “Creative Class”: fast-growing, highly-educated, and well-paid workforce who share common values of creativity, individuality, difference, and merit.
- Places that succeed in attracting and retaining the creative class people prosper. Others don’t.
- Creative Class cities are tolerant, diverse, and open to creativity.
- “As creativity becomes more valued, the creative class grows.”
- Creative class includes 38.3 million Americans (30% of US Workforce)
- Regions w/ large numbers of creative class folks are the most affluent and growing
- Talented people want to see an environment open to differences.
- “Diversity is something they value in all its manifestations. This is spoken of so often and so matter-of-fact, that I take it to be a fundamental maker of creative-class values.